I really believe J560 Online Public Relations through the IUPUI School of Journalism should move from an elective status to being a required class.
This class is for all students, even those who think they have mastered social media because they are already active on multiple platforms. I was one of those students and realized halfway into the semester that I really did not know it all. I still don’t, but realize we should always be students, even after graduation.
Being a lifelong student is critical to keeping up with the ever changing world of online public relations. So here is what you can learn over 12 weeks in 12 simple statements:
- It’s the best environment for learning how to brand oneself in the age of social media.
- If you don’t know your personal brand, this class will bring you many steps closer to figuring that out.
- It will challenge you to step up your social media game in a real world environment.
- You will learn how to have meaningful online conversations with people you don’t know.
- You will learn that video is king and needs to be a regular part of your social media posting schedule to increase your influence online.
- You will learn how to integrate many different social media platforms into your personal branding experience.
- You will be a huge step ahead of your peers who have not taken this class.
- You will have created some new professional habits that you will want to integrate into your daily life going forward.
- You will groan at the social media postings quota at the beginning of the semester, but be excited to keep up the schedule when the class is complete.
- You will increase your social media clout. Be sure to sign up at www.klout.com at the beginning of the semester to begin measuring your social media influence.
- You will learn why Google Plus is becoming the “it girl” and how it is important to your personal branding adventure.
- You will have a great time and meet some great people along the way!